Hello there. Are you looking for a copy editor? You’ve come to the right place.
I am an adaptable, deadline-oriented, and absurdly thorough copy editor with strong skills in proofreading for style and sense. Thanks to 20 years of experience as both an in-house and freelance copy editor, I provide the much-needed assurance that your publications are as error-free and professional as humanly possible.
My specialty is turning highly technical language into clear, concise, and understandable English that conveys the message you intend it to convey. In the words of The Baltimore Sun’s John E. McIntyre, as a “proper” copy editor, I do much more than just check spelling and grammar:
“Proper copy editing includes examining the focus, dredging the main point up from the tenth paragraph to make it more prominent. Proper copy editing addresses the language: rooting out cliches, substituting an ordinary term for jargon when it would serve the reader better, altering infelicitous wording. Proper copy editing prunes, deleting the irrelevant, tightening the language. Proper copy editing raises serious questions, including the kind that can identify plagiarism, fabrication, and libel.”
That’s a tall order—and I’ll do it all with a smile.
While I specialize in health care, legal, and academic publications for nonprofits, I have polished and perfected a wide range of materials. These include:
- news and trade magazines
- peer-reviewed health care and medical journals
- legal, law-related, and other nonfiction books
- health care white papers and case studies
- website copy and blog posts
- advertising and marketing copy
- small business and meeting brochures
- K-5 Common Core State Standards teacher’s editions and other education materials
I’m also very well-versed in the following style guides:
- The American Medical Association Manual of Style (AMA)
- Associated Press Stylebook (AP)
- The Bluebook of Legal Citations
- Chicago Manual of Style (CMoS)
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA)
And if that wasn’t enough, I am darn easy to work with, read style guides for fun, and have a long-held passion for copious amounts of coffee.