This is a truncated version of the EFA Chicagoland Chapter News. If you would like to read the full e-newsletter, visit the archive, where you can also subscribe to have it delivered to your inbox monthly.
- Cap What? Have all the different rules and various styles for title capitalization got you down? Title Case Converter to the rescue! It’ll convert titles per eight style guides, including AMA, AP, APA, and Chicago.
- SBDC Services. The SBDC at Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce offers several services for SBDC clients, including a free monthly legal clinic, a Black Business Accelerator program, one-on-one business advising, classes, and more. Sign-up is free for all Illinois SBDCs, and you can find the closest-to-you office location here.
- Zoom ’Toon. If you want to bring a little excitement to your next Zoom meeting—or just annoy your colleagues—you can now cartoonify yourself thanks to the Snapchat desktop app. As reported by The Verge, “The filter turns you into a generic DreamWorks/Pixar creation…which is both dumb and fun.”
B2B Publications Career Center
The American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) launched a new Career Center site for its members. The site “is designed to be the online destination for both B2B publishers/employers and B2B journalists” and features an enhanced job board, a Resource Center to help you plan for and further your career, résumé assistance and an anonymous résumé bank, and an Employers Portal to help companies find the best candidates for job openings.
ASBPE is free to join for U.S.-based “staff and freelance editors, reporters, art directors, and designers of B2B-oriented (i.e., business, trade, association, professional) publications.” Students and faculty members of journalism or related departments are also eligible for no-cost memberships.
Illinois Ranked 29th Best State for Starting a Business
A recent study by WalletHub ranked all 50 states on which were the best places to start a business, as reported by The Center Square. Illinois came in 29th overall; it also ranked low within the Midwest (only Minnesota and Ohio did worse).
The top three states were Texas, Georgia, and California.
All 50 U.S. states were ranked on business environment, access to resources, business costs, and other factors. Compared to the other states, Illinois came in 40th for business environment, 36th for business costs, and 8th for access to resources.
PODCASTS TO PONDER
By Amy Spungen
- The Writer’s Co-op suggests how to “Balance Your Biz,” pointing out that if you’re only offering one service in your freelance business, you may find it hard to pivot if needed.
- “Deliberate Freelancer” reveals “My Procrastination Struggle and Potential Solutions.” Host Melanie Padgett Powers fesses up, then offers freelancers tips to get over procrastination (no, you can’t listen to this later).
- “The Editing Podcast” tells you “How to Choose a Name for Your Editing or Proofreading Business.” You mean there’s an art to it?!
For media- and publishing-related conferences, webinars, and other events of interest to self-employed editorial freelancers, see the Media Types Omnicalendar.